Man, you won’t believe this chili is vegan!
Last week I wanted to try for meatless dinners for a week and we succeeded! My husband thought there would be lots of boring salads and lots of repeat meals but we managed a different recipe nightly and loved them!
That being said, we are not going vegan, I love cheese too much and Jon needs a burger every now and then. But we will be incorporating more meatless meals into our diet.
So lets move onto this chili. It was warm, had complex flavors, comforting, filling and CHEAP!
Have you ever cooked with TVP (textured vegetable protein)? Well neither had I, so I picked up a bag of TVP for $1.67 and made some chili! It’s high in protein, low in fat and mimics the texture of ground beef or turkey.
What you need:
- 3-3 1/2 cups hot water (2 to rehydrate TVP and 1/2-1 cup to thin out the chili to desired consistency)
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein, I used Bob’s Red Mill
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper chopped
- 2 Jalapeno Pepper (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 Tbsp Cumin
- 1 Tbsp Low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 cans Tomatoes (28oz cans, chopped)
- 1; 10 oz can of rotel (green chiles and tomatoes)
- 1; 6 oz can of tomato paste
- 2; 16 oz cans white northern or red kidney beans with liquid
- 1 16 oz can black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals
How to make it:
- In a large bowl, pour 2 cups of hot water over 2 cups of TVP. Mix in the ketchup. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan. Saute the onions and peppers,for a few minutes until edges start to char and the vegetables soften. Add in garlic, saute until fragrant.
- Add seasonings to TVP mixture and stir with fork.
- Add TVP to the vegetable mixture, cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, beans and 1/2 cup -1 cup hot water.
- Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to one hour. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add frozen corn in the last 15 minutes.
**This totally can be put in the crock pot on high for 2 hours instead of simmering for an hour**
- crushed tortilla strips
- greek yogurt or sour cream
- shredded cheddar or your favorite non dairy cheese