Man it has been a while! I feel like my last couple of posts have started out this way too. This has just been a crazy few months but I know the kitchen is my outlet, there is that sweet satisfaction when my hard work shows and my husband takes a bite with a smile.
So lets get back into this thing with some zucchini bread!
Its not Summer, it doesn’t even feel like Spring yet I had a mean craving for zucchini bread! The zucchini’s in store looked way less bleak then they did all winter (since they’re out of season) they certainly don’t compare to the bountiful summer zucchini’s, but they worked for this!
This recipe has been handed down from Jon’s Grandmother to his Mom and down to me too, I have tweaked it to make it a little bit healthier but still totally delicious!
This makes two loafs, one to stuff in your face now and one to pop into the freezer for later.
What you need:
- 3 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 c white sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup canola, coconut or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup apple sauce or greek yogurt- I’ve used both!
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 cups shredded zucchini ( do not squeeze the water out– this is moisture for your bread!)
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp all spice
How to make it:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two 8″ x 4″ loaf pans with cooking spray or use parchment paper.
- Mix together dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, all spice and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients eggs, yogurt or apple sauce, oil, , brown sugar, white sugar and vanilla.
- Mix in grated zucchini.
- Fold in flour mixture until well combined.
- Pour mixture into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 min to an hour. Just about until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Let bread sit for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove bread from the pan and allow to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes.
- Cut into slices and enjoy!
**This is my basic zucchini bread, If I’m feeling something a little different I will mix in any of the following optional items!
- chocolate chips
- walnuts or pecans
- carrots and raisins