It’s far and few that my husband KNOWS what he wants for dinner, but i was at the grocery store struggling to think of meals for the week and viola a text from Jon with a dinner request!
So this original recipe was from 5 boys baker (see original below) and was fan-tas-tic! Perfect comfort food with great flavor and so easy! I made a few minor adjustments and it was so delicious! We actually used leftovers wrapped in a tortilla shell and ate it like a burrito!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (could use boneless thighs too)
- 14.5 oz can of mild “ro-tel” tomatoes
- 10oz can of mild red enchilada sace
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Chile powder
- 2 tbsp chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (about 2 peppers) plus 1tbsp of the adobo sauce
- 4 cups of cooked brown rice
- 2 cans 15oz each of black beans, rinsed
- 1/2 cup of shredded sharp chedder cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
Optional toppings but totally worth it: cilantro, sour cream, avocado.
How to make
- Place chicken breasts in a large crock pot (4 or 5 qt)
- In a bowl, combine the tomatoes, enchilada sauce, spices, chipotle peppers with sauce and black beans.
- Mix well and pour over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until chicken is cooked through and reaches temp of 165.
- Remove chicken from crock pot, shred the chicken using two forks.
- Return chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add cooked rice, stir well.
- sprinkle cheese across the top and cover.
- Let cheeses melt for 10-15 minutes and serve!